Mid-Atlantic Media, publisher of Baltimore Jewish Times (JT) and Washington Jewish Week (WJW) among others, is searching for the “best fit” journalist to add to our editorial staff. The right candidate will produce digital and print writing assignments and other content responsibilities. We're looking for an energetic, experienced, assertive, accurate, creative and organized reporter/writer with boundless curiosity and ability to learn quickly. A true “content generator” that will be expected to produce 8-to10 content items per week.
- Pitch, edit and write multiple news and feature stories each week for both print and digital vehicles for multiple publications
- Work and own your reporting beats to develop sources and story ideas, and to deepen your knowledge of the Jewish community
- Conduct story interviews in person and/or over the phone
- Provide photographs or other artwork for each story you write
- Take photos and video at every opportunity
- Create daily social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Perform administrative tasks (eg. upload stories to website, compile community calendar, compile obituary listing, proof the pages before publication).
- Must be flexible with ability to work in a fast paced, fluid environment
Knowledge of the Baltimore and Washington-area Jewish communities, Judaism, Israel and politics are a plus. Teamwork is a must.
JT and WJW have been covering their Jewish communities since 1919 and 1930 respectively. They both strive, with their award-winning coverage in print and online, to be an indispensable source of news about politics, religion, international affairs, trends, the arts, and culture, all while working to build and strengthen our Jewish community.
Mid-Atlantic Media, in addition to publishing JT and WJW also encourages writing for its other publication titles which include Philadelphia Jewish Exponent, Washington Jewish Week, Baltimore Style, Baltimore's Child, Frederick’s Child, Philadelphia’s MetroKids, Montgomery Magazine and Washington Family. This is a terrific opportunity for a journalist to establish clips and get his/her byline out in the marketplace.