Mid-Atlantic Media, a fast-growing publisher of niche community and ethnic titles, is seeking an editor to join our team of award-winning journalists. The primary role, among others, will be to direct the content for Washington Jewish Week (WJW).
We’re looking for a content leader who has the ability to be connected and involved in the fabric of the greater Washington Jewish community (DMV). Familiarity with the Jewish community is a must - please do not apply without it. An editor that can help elevate WJW's visibility, awareness and journalistic quality. An editor that can lead with a digital news approach and deliver our weekly magazine product. An editor that can work through copious amounts of copy and serve as a mentor to develop up-and-coming journalistic talent. Additionally, the editor will be a multi-tasker with the ability to juggle multiple publication projects. The editor will have the willingness to help shape multiple publication titles and their online experience is a must. Occasional travel will be expected.
This is a high-energy position and comes with the opportunity to shape how tens of thousands of Jewish readers across the Washington metro area digest news and features.
- Must have strong familiarity of Jewish community
- Minimum 5 years of community news experience
- An ability to edit quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong people skills and an ability to manage and motivate a team
- Digital/Technical aptitude, including comfort with WordPress, Photoshop, digital photography and social media.
- Ability and willingness to wear many hats, from high-level editorial strategy down to shoe-leather journalism and in-person community engagement
- Assignment editor – Help our writers uncover local scoops, select stories for coverage, create a rundown and communicate with officials, sources and readers. Monitor email and social media for story ideas and trends.
- Copy editor – Regularly check and correct our reporters’ copy for errors, awkward phrasing, verbosity and un-engaging wording. Uphold AP Style and our house style.
- Team leader – Set high editorial standards and motivate the teams to produce compelling, accurate community journalism that wins followers and makes a difference. When needed, the editor will lead by example, reporting stories them-self and assisting with breaking news coverage.
- Editorial strategist – Engage with the community and help spread the word about our sites and our journalism. Work closely with the publishers to plan and execute further growth. Also, assist other management with company-wide editorial initiatives.
- Problem solver – Diagnose and help to resolve minor technical problems.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance